Monday, September 24, 2007

asleep on a sunbeam




There was a time in my life about seven years ago when the reply to ‘what sort of music do you like?’ was just ‘belle and sebastian’. Not indie, twee, rock, pop, whatever, just ‘belle and sebastian’. Days would go by and I would play their cds one after the other and they were the soundtrack of my life. Well, I would still listen to the radio since the radio hadn’t turned completely shitty back then and I would listen to other bands too but most of the time it would be just belle and sebastian. The first gig was in Birmingham in the summer of 2001 and then it was that magical night on a rainy day in September in Athens. There were also some b&s parties at decadence, a few rather unsuccessful fan meet-ups and all sorts of t-shirts, badges, posters, mugs... And then the whole thing started fading away… I don’t know if it was them or me, I loved the ‘fans only’ dvd but I haven’t been able to adore a whole cd after ‘fold your hands…’ At first I tried really hard but it wouldn’t work, magic was just lost, there were scattered songs of course, a couple from each of the latest albums, songs to give you on_a_sunbeam nicknames and break your heart – but only a few. And you can be sad or angry and disappointed and long for the old times or you can just smile and be happy and grateful for the moments you’ve had and the joy they’ve given you. And I chose the latter. And from time to time I still play my personal b&s best of and I sing along, and I still want to start to dance and clap my hands in a crammed pop whenever the dj plays them for me. And I don’t even know why I’m writing all these, it’s just that after a year Stuart has started updating his diary again and that has made me really happy, foolishly happy and I wanted to tell the world. I never had a crash on Stu, hard to believe but true, however, I do love him in that strange way that you can love strangers you will never meet and even his saddest diary entries have this really soothing, comforting quality and just make me smile. And because no matter what, I still do love b&s even if some the magic has been forever lost.
...Think about a new destination
If you think you need inspiration
Roll out the map and mark it with a pin
I will follow every direction
Just lace up your shoes while
I'm fetching a sleeping bag, a tent

Another summer's passing by
All I need is somewhere I feel the grass beneath my feet
A walk on sand, a fire I can warm my hands

13 Comments:

Blogger silent stelios said...

Περασα και εγω -περιεργως - απο την φαση B&S. Η αδερφη μου ειχε ολους τους δισκους και τους επαιρνα να τους ακουσω. Το tigermilk ηταν το αγαπημενο μου album, το sleep the clock around αγαπημενο κομματι. Στη Γλασκωβη εψαχνα να βρω τα μερη για τα οποια εγραφαν στους στιχους - πηγα και στα debenhams μεχρι και στο bowlie ειχα γραφτει, το φορουμ για τους φανς τους. Σταματησα να τους ακουω οταν εβγαλαν το legal man - φαινεται πως αρεσε σε ολους εκτος απο εμενα.
Η συναυλια στο Γουδι ηταν πολυ καλη, δεν ηταν;

September 25, 2007 11:22 am  
Blogger on_a_sunbeam said...

Ήμουνα και γω στο bowlie αλλά δεν πολυέγραφα, ήμουνα από τους lurkers :) το tigermilk πρεπει να είναι το αγαπημένο των περισσότερων, μαζί με τα πρώτα EPs, ούτε εμένα μου άρεσε το legal man πάντως. Έμενες Γλασκώβη; Είχες πετύχει κανέναν ποτε; Και η συναυλία ήταν σούπερ, αξιζε και τη βροχή και όλα!

September 25, 2007 2:50 pm  
Blogger silent stelios said...

Δεν εμενα, οχι αλλα ειχα παει αρκετες φορες. Απο τις αγαπημενες μου πολεις.
Ο chris geddes επαιζε σε ενα bar τις παρασκευες, ηταν ωραια. Υπαρχει και ενα μικρο δισκαδικο που το εχει ενας τυπος απο τους pastels, monorail λεγεται.
Εκεινη η βροχερη μερα ηταν ιδανικος καιρος για συναυλια B&S.

September 25, 2007 3:13 pm  
Blogger Xilaren said...

the latter, always the latter...

(sweet, sweet post)
:)

September 26, 2007 12:16 pm  
Blogger on_a_sunbeam said...

never look back in anger, right? :)

kai mena mou arese, an kai emeina poly liges meres vevaia! kai fysika den petyxa kanenan b&s!

September 26, 2007 3:00 pm  
Blogger Dimitra Daisy said...

I totally, completely and utterly also went through a phase of "what do you listen to" "Belle & Sebastian"... In fact I went through a phase of living life as a Belle & Sebastian fan.

And I saw them seven times. Seven. Don't laugh. Athens was the last one, and perhaps even the best one, too.

And I sort of grew out of it, too. In fact I rarely ever listen to them anymore and when I do it sounds strange.

September 28, 2007 7:28 pm  
Blogger on_a_sunbeam said...

Seven times??? Lucky you!! :)

October 01, 2007 2:54 pm  
Blogger Marianthi said...

This is all so nice to read. I never went through a massive B&S phase because I'm OLD and I was already knee-deep into indiepop when B&S appeared. I am equally grateful and angry at them. Grateful because they got a lot of people into indiepop and that's absolutely wonderful. But they'd never be my favourite band because they totally sold out. Absolutely, unbearably sold their souls.

They broke the heart they mended. It's a bit mad.

October 01, 2007 7:15 pm  
Blogger Dimitra Daisy said...

Marianthi, I don't know if B&S ever meant to be indiepop. It seems to me that it was some sort of happy (or sad, depending on how you look at it) coincidence, and that all they ever wanted to be was rock stars. And so I don't know if we can blame them for selling their souls, although I very much want to.

And I have to admit I am one of those people who came to indiepop through B&S. Where the hell would I find indiepop in Thessaloniki in 1998? Believe me, I tried... I still can't believe how long it took. In fact, it took until I got an internet connection. And found Sinister. Which, in itself, is a little mad.

October 01, 2007 10:04 pm  
Blogger Claire said...

I was under the phase of B&S last winter. However, I can't really call myself a fan, 'cause I didn't manage to go to any of their concerts.

All the way back home
I'm telling you I caught the sun
Creeping up behind my shoulder
And another day's begun...

October 09, 2007 9:38 pm  
Blogger Marianthi said...

All the way back home
I'm telling you I caught the sun
Creeping up behind my shoulder
And another day's begun...

Aw... You know, I'm going through a massive obsession phase with this song right now. Over and over again, I can't stop listening to it.

:)

x

October 11, 2007 2:24 am  
Blogger on_a_sunbeam said...

I too came into indiepop through b&s :) and not managing to go to concerts doesn't make you less of a fan! I haven't seen live most of my favourite ones :(

October 16, 2007 11:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

November 14, 2009 10:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home