Tuesday, March 06, 2007

winter wonderland


pipas live in athens 21/1/2005

You come to work one morning feeling sleepy and grumpy and bored, you sit at your desk, sipping at a hot coffee, trying to get your eyes open and stop your mind from wandering to a hundred things other than work and you spend the first half hour browsing blogs and listening to music and you come across this post, and suddenly you want to get out in the sunshine, smile to strangers and sing the lyrics from 'mental' on top of your voice. Two years ago I discovered 'the pipas' and I fell in love with them. It was love at first 'hearing' and the live gig at mad club was almost magical, sprinkled with pixie dust, this is a video from that night, I can't believe it's been more than two years, more on pipas to come, it's a promise. Now I am left with a bright stupid smile on my sleepy face and I am watching the video over and over again.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dimitra Daisy said...

Blimey, I didn't know that that gig meant anything to anybody whose first name I didn't know back then! It is amazing!

As is this blog. I've read it back to front and I had to stop from commenting on every other entry. I had sooo much to say. And I wish I could write like that in Greek (or perhaps, I wish I hadn't stopped being able to do it).

And it almost, nearly, but not quite, made me miss Athens. Well. I do miss the sunshine but it's been wonderfully sunny here the past three days, so that kind of gets in my way of missing it just now. And then there's not that much of Athens left to miss. Perhaps the tram ride by the seaside...

March 09, 2007 9:03 pm  
Blogger on_a_sunbeam said...

Thanks dimitra! But if it wasn't for your pipas' enthusiastic references in 'the friends of the heroes' perhaps I wouldn't have discovered them :)

I miss the 'sprinkled pepper' events by the way, I have some great memories from these nights.

We can definitely not complain about lack of sunshine this winter, it hasn't rained much, no matter how often I play my clientele cds!

March 12, 2007 10:20 am  
Blogger Dimitra Daisy said...

Heh. Good to know that I'm not the only one who plays 'Suburban light' when praying for rain. Not that I ever need to pray for rain anymore, of course...

And there I was, thinking that nobody in Greece ever read Friends of the Heroes. (And my, was that a long time ago!)

And I sometimes miss the Sprinkled Pepper events too.

March 12, 2007 1:55 pm  
Blogger on_a_sunbeam said...

I can't remember how or when exactly I discoverd Friends of the Heroes, it seems ages ago, but most probably it was while searching for belle and sebastian articles back then :)

March 13, 2007 2:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home